The Art of Communication: Communicate and Relate Professionally, Conflict Resolution
“Conversing, as Goethe conceived it, is the art of arts. The very place in his works where the subject finds mention lets us glimpse its singular rank in his esteem. This is in a key scene of his fairy tale, The Green Snake and the Beautiful Lily. There, the four kings enthroned in the subterranean mystery temple are roused to the dawning of a new Age of Man when the serpent, made luminous by the gold she had swallowed, penetrates with her light into their dark sanctuary, and the following dialogue takes place:
“Whence came you hither?” asked the golden king.
“Out of the clefts where gold dwells,” replied the serpent.
“What is more glorious than gold?”
“What is more enlivening than Light?”
Quoted from essay “The Art of Goethean Conversation” by Marjorie Spock, 1983
With this picture of communication as the ‘Art of Arts’, this course will offer new insights and skills to bring to your own communication. Together we will look at:
- Considering communication in various settings, in personal and professional relationships and relationship stages;
- How we might prepare ourselves inwardly and outwardly for a conversation;
- Different ways of speaking and deep listening; the responsibilities of the speaker and the listener;
- Conflict – a call for development! Modes of handling conflict;
- Meaningful artistic exercises to enhance our understanding of communication, including drawing, poetry, clay work, journaling, reflective practice.
Live-streamed and recorded
Each session will be recorded and available for viewing for the duration of the course. Recordings will be removed at the end of the term. It is the responsibility of each student to keep up-to-date with the sessions.
Certificate of Professional Development
Our part-time courses are non-accredited and offer a Certificate of Professional Development upon completion.
Tutor: Tania Hungerford
Tania Hungerford has taught at the Seminar for more than 20 years and over this time has developed rich and meaningful learning experiences for the many students who have come to study here. She teaches across a range of courses and subjects, bringing a depth of experience working out of anthroposophy,and drawing on a comprehensive background of training in the areas of sculpture, social science, form drawing, biography work, counselling and art therapy.
Tania teaches subjects in the full time Advanced Diploma of Rudolf Steiner Education, including: Sculpture, Form Drawing, the Twelve Senses, Human Development, the Four Temperaments, Goethean Observation, Professional Communication and Conflict Resolution, understanding and working with Trauma and developing inclusive teaching practices for working with Children with Special Learning Needs.
She also teaches in our part-time online and on campus courses: Primary Class Teacher Rudolf Steiner Ed 1-6; Harmonising trauma and stress disorders through arts and movement; Arts short courses (sculpture, wood carving).
Over the past decade Tania has offered many Professional Development programs to Waldorf Teachers in schools around Australia and in Asia. Tania has qualifications including a Certificate in Steiner Education; Advanced Diploma in Rudolf Steiner Education; Certificate in Biography Counselling; Bachelor of Social Science/Counselling; Grad Diploma in Experiential and Creative Art; Masters of Therapeutic Arts Practice; CERT IV TAE40116.
When: 5 October – 16 November 2022, every Wednesday evening live-streamed online, 7.00 – 9.15pm with a 15 -minute break in the middle.
All sessions will be recorded. Recordings will be available until the end of the term.
Cost: $445 per term.
What you will need to participate in this course
- Coloured pencils and A3 size plain drawing paper (loose leaf or in a book).
- A computer (not a mobile phone) with sufficient internet bandwidth and a camera to join in on Zoom.
Information: Carmen in the office on +03 9876 5199 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
5 October – 16 November 2022.
Withdrawing and refunds
If you wish to withdraw from a course, please send an email to email@example.com.
· If you withdraw prior to a course beginning we will refund any fees paid, less a $100 administration fee.
· If you withdraw after the first session of the course, we will refund any fees paid, less a $155 administration and withdrawal fee.
· If you withdraw after the second week, no refunds can be given.